The netAdventist Directory extension allows you to create a Church or Organization membership directory viewable online, publicly or privately, or downloadable as a PDF, complete with photos and member details. The Directory extension must be activated in the settings of your dashboard.
Creating a directory
- Sign in to your netAdventist website.
- Select the Dashboard link at the bottom of the homepage.
- Select the Website Pages tab at the top of the page.
- Click on the Directory link in the left navigation bar. NOTE: (If the Directory link is not present it will need to be added: Click on your Settings tab and then Extensions. Activate the extension by selecting Activate.)
- First click Settings under Directory and set your directory to Public or Members-Only.
- The directory is set to members only by default. To change the directories settings select the Settings folder under the Directory link. On this page you will be able to set public viewable or logged-in members with view permission. The logged in view is the default setting to protect information in the directory. Someone will need be a member of the site to see the entries in the Directory menu. You have the option to select public view.
NOTE: Generally speaking personal information should not be set for the public to view. Leave the setting for "Who can view this directory" to "Logged-in members with view permission."
You are also able to add a message to each directory entry to inform viewers additional information such as how to update there information. Select the check box to show country if desired and set the number of entries in the gallery view or list view. When finished select Save.
- Now you can add users by clicking the Publish folder under Directory.
- Select on the blue Add New Entry button top right on your screen.
- The Directory Entry Details tab opens with fields for name, email, phone and address information. Fill in the appropriate fields.
- Click on the the Attach Users and Owners tab. There are two fields where you can attach entry representives and grant editing permissions to this entry. Only members associated with this site will show in the lists. The Users Represented by this Entry is the owner of the information associated with this entry but who does not wish to maintain the entry. The Owners who can Edit this Entry is the person the representive of this entry, once logged in, has the ability to edit an entry on the site. Select Save. NOTE. A member with ownership rights would log in to the site, go the directory menu, select a directory entry and select the edit link on that entry. They would be taken to a page where they would be able to edit entry information and update it with the Update button.
- Your directory entry has been saved and added to the directory index. To edit an entry, select the Edit link. Once finished select Save.
- Alternately, you can upload a CSV file of an existing directory. NOTE. For the CSV file to work it will need to be in the correct format. When you select the Upload CSV/Zip buttom, in the center of the next page, the correct format is displayed.
- There are several ways to create a correctly formatted CSV file, here's an example of one. From the Publish folder select the "Upload CSV/Zip" button. The Upload page displays. Highlight the format text in the center of the page and copy it. ID,External Reference ID,Last name,First Names,Children's Names,E-mail,Phone Number,Alternate Phone,Address Address 1,Address Address 2,Address City,Address State / Province,Address Postal code,Address Country,Additional Information,Photo Filename Open a text editor and paste the format into it. Note: The number of fields will directly be determined by the number you have in your directory settings fold under the directory extension. So what you see above may not match what you have on your site. It is best to copy the format text columns directly from your site upload page and not what you see above. Save your file as a .txt file. Next, open your data file in a spreadsheet program and and using the Insert tool, sheet from file, insert your txt file into the first row. Then, match your data file columns to the format in row 1. Leave any fields that don't match up blank. When finished save a new CSV file making sure your field/column delimiter is a comma and your text delimiter are quotes. Once saved upload it to the directory extension. NOTE. It is recommended that you leave the format row in place when you create your new CSV file. This will help ensure that the upload will work correctly. You can always remove this entry later.
- To view the directory, add a menu option linked to the Directory or a link on a content page. To add a menu select the Main Menu link from the Website Pages menu. Select Add menu item. The add menu item fields are displayed. Give the new menu a name and select the Directory category in the category drop down list. Next select either list or gallery index views in the link page drop down. List view displays the directory entries in a vertical list. Gallery view displays your directory entries in tiles. Select Save. Move the menu to the desired location with drag and drop.
- Go to your homepage and view the menu you just added. Select the new menu to be taken to the Directory page to see your directory entries.